Friday, January 27, 2012

Me? Angry??

So, you know that little thing that hides in the back of our minds just waiting to burst out at any moment?  Yep, that's right.  I'm talking about anger, frustration, irritation, whatever you wanna call it.  Now, with diabetes you may find that you experience this feeling more often than most people do.  But, no worries!  You don't have anger issues, you are completely normal.  I'm not gonna go through the whole diabetes education about why it happened because if you have diabetes you know why it happens.  I'm just gonna give you a personal example of what could happen, and then a way to prevent or solve it.

One good example of what can happen with a high blood sugar is Lying.  Not because you like to do it, but it might get someone off your back quicker.  One time, my Mom had asked me where my little sister was.  Now, I knew where she was and could have explained and stuff, but it was easier to just say I don't know, or anything.  So my response was, "Don't know, don't care."  I didn't really understand why it was so important, but now that I look back on it: what if she was hurt, or needed help.  So I suffered the consequences and by that I mean I got a pop on the mouth and an early bedtime.

Lying can apply to our diabetes care too.  Sometimes I think about how it could have been different if I would have kept better check on my diabetes.  I'm not here to pester you about diabetes care, I'm here to tell you that diabetes care could save your life.  I know by experience that bad care can land you on your death bed with your mom wondering if she will ever see  your eyes open again.  With your dad pacing the hospital hallways wishing that you would just wake up and show him that smile that he tells you he loves.  Or even just your friends, wondering why it's been 5 days since you talked to them and no one can tell them what happened.  You don't want to wake up from a 4 day coma to see your family so broken that every word out of your mouth is a blessing to them, and at the same time an ever lasting reminder that you shouldn't be here.  So, when you feel that little thing bursting out, stop and check your blood sugars, it might just save your life.