Thursday, January 26, 2012

Illusion of Control

The Diabetes Monster is a blog centered around my experiences with diabetes, be it good, bad, or ugly, and then giving advice or solutions to either help others avoid them, or work through similar situations.

One of the not so pleasant experiences that can happen (I have experienced several of these) is a low blood sugar seizure.  Now, I'm not going to tell you that you can prevent this every time but, it is possible to try.  One thing that everyone should do, is to keep a good check on your blood sugars.  I'm sure everyone with diabetes hears that more times than they can count but, it really does help.

I can't say that I spend everyday making sure I have perfect control because, first of all, no one can "control" diabetes.  You can keep check of it but, you can't control it.  Second of all, everyone has things that distract them.  Some days I keep better watch than others but, everyone will miss a blood sugar or a shot/bolus at least once in a while.

A lot of times we feel put down because a parent of a child with diabetes will brag about how well kept the child's diabetes is.  They will tell you that their kid has never been in the hospital, blah blah blah.  I don't know one person with diabetes who has never visited the hospital even once.  It just happens.  I like to think that Diabetes has a mind of it's own.

What I really want people to grasp is that no matter what, things can go wrong, and maybe we can't completely  control it but, we can control ourselves which will contribute to better care.  Don't let people's attitudes wear you down.  Keep you head held high and remember that people can say things that might upset you but, chances are they either don't understand or they are just jealous.  And ... jealousy is an ugly trait.