Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Memories - Wednesday 5/15

Today's topic for Diabetes blog week is Memories.

I don't want to discuss bad memories of diabetes.  I try not to dwell on those.  Yes they are important to who I am, but I much rather talk about the good memories.

My best friend / "twin sister" Jody I meet online in a diabetic message board forum.  We meet in the spring of 2004.  Just last night we were chatting adn I cannot believe next year it will be 10 years since we met.  She is truly my best friend, sister, our parents joke and say we were twins separated at birth.

Jody and I share many things in common besides T1D.  We are the same age (6 months apart, she Jan, me July of the same year.  We have a similar childhood history of things that happened.  We have similar likes and dislikes.  It is so funny how much in common we share.

Even though I don't see Jody often or go days to weeks with out talking, we pick up right where we left off like there was no missed time.  We are there for each other for the good and bad times.  We are comfortable confiding our deepest secretes in each other.  And 9 years later we are no different.  We both had trouble making and keeping "real life, local" friends.  But for some unknown reason we were meant to find each other and have one of the strongest relationships I think friends can have.

Now the hugest problem is she lives in England, I live in the United States.  We cannot physically see each other as often as we wish.  But we both had the opportunity to go to each-others countries and visit with each other.  Which is super awesome.  How many can say their best friend lives in another country and have the opportunity to visit.  Now it is expensive to visit so we cannot do it as often as we wish, but we try to see each other in person every 2 years, if not sooner.  (a two week vacation costs a good $2k USD). 

I am super thrilled because Jody is coming to NYC with her sister and friend and I will spend a weekend up there with her.  This means the world to me. 

I am very thankful for diabetes and the memories it has created.  In addition to Jody, because of diabetes I have met some wicked awesome people, not only in this country, but world wide.