Wednesday, May 28, 2014

"What is it like being a type 1 diabetic?"



So I saw this status that my friend Justine Perkins wrote and I thought that I would share it with everyone.

"What is it like being a type 1 diabetic? Imagine living a life where you have this huge weight on your back all the time. Its like you never really get to live. You are always in a state of fear because you never know what could happen. You don't know if your blood sugar will manage through the night. You don't know if you'll wake up. You feel like a burden to others because they have to look out for you. You go through crazy mood swings based on your blood sugar. Its a huge emotional roller coaster. Its life where you have to depend on a bottle of insulin to survive. Its a restraint. You cant always do what your friends do. You feel like no one understands you. Its a major responsibility, you have to grow up faster and learn to take care of yourself. People don't always realize that its a disease and it could kill you. But hopefully its not a lifelong battle. I hope they find a cure. And hopefully one day we won't have to explain how hard life with diabetes is but instead, what life without type 1 diabetes is like."

Being a diabetic is a 24/7 job. We worry constantly and I don't know about you, but I stress about it a lot. What if we don't check our blood sugar before bed? What could happen to us? There is that feeling of feeling alone and feeling like you are a burden to others. You need to tell people when you are around them just so that they know if something happens to you, but there is still that feeling that if you tell them then they are going to worry about you the whole time they are with you. I told my friends right away because my mood swings are crazy. When I am low I act crazier than usual. Then when I am high I get mad at the littlest things. I didn't want them to think there was something weird about me. Something that Justine said was "It's life where you have to depend on a bottle of insulin to survive". This statement is so true. We depend on insulin for everything we do. No matter what we will always need that bottle of insulin. I hope one day we wont have to depend on that bottle of insulin. Hoping for that day soon.

~Stay Strong~
Evelyn