Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Visit from the Diabetes Monster

            Last night I had a visit from the Diabetes Monster.  He decided he wanted to have a sleep over and spent the night with me. Here is a brief recap of my unwelcome sleepover.

            BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!  I am rudely awoken out of a dead sleep by Tigger (my dexcom receiver).  Low BG alert.  Says I am under 55.  I grab Roo (my meter) and test my bg.  54! Great, exactly what I had plans to do at 1am!!! NOT!

            I crawl out of bed.  Stumble half asleep across my bedroom to my mini fridge.  Yes I have a mini fridge in my bedroom.  But it’s not the fridge you would expect a 27 year old college student to have.  It is stocked full of juice boxes, water bottles, and insulin. 

            I open the door and grab a juice box.  Not just any juice box but a Capri Sun.  Those have been my juice of choice lately.  Now in the dark with a low of 54 and trying to get the straw in that hole is not easy at all…I need to rethink this when I go shopping for more juice.  It was a bit like pin the tail on the donkey game.  Don’t believe me, go into a dark room, spin around a few times and try to get the straw in that little hole without piercing the other side of the juice pouch!  (You all will be very proud, after a few tries I successfully got the straw in without piercing the other side of the pouch.)

            Fifteen minutes go by and I test again 122.  Great I am back off to sleep.

            BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! It is now around 3 am.  Tigger once again is rudely awakening me to say I am low.  This time he says I am 69.  I test on my meter and it reads I am 87.  So thinking I may be dropping I drink another juice.  This time I turn on the lights so it isn’t eventful enough to describe the walk to the fridge and back.  I go back to sleep.

            BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! Now it is 4:30 am.  Tigger for the third time tonight is awakening me.  But this time he is telling me I am high, reading that I am 257.  I bring out Roo and test, 234.  Ok a little high.  I follow the tubing attached to my body to find Piglet (pump).  I bolus and once again, go back to sleep.

            BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!  It’s 5:50 am and Tigger for the fourth time in one night awaking me.  At this point I was about ready to chuck him out the window and let him sleep outside where ever he landed.  I looked and I was alerting low with a BG of 83.  I tested at 78.  Having my third juice box of the night.  Now I am wide awake lying in bed.

            You may wonder what I was thinking about.  I was thinking of all you D Mom’s and D Dad’s out there.  I was thinking how every night this is you, you up taking care of your child with diabetes.  I am an adult with diabetes.  I have to take care of myself when these events arise.  But I can just say I greatly appreciate all you D Parents out there and what you go thru on a nightly basis so your little one can sleep.

            I get up finally around 6:30, eat breakfast and jump on the computer.  Hoping my day would get a bit better, maybe able to catch a nap latter.  Ha-ha, yeah right. 

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! Low alert, it is 2 hours after eating and my bg is 74.  I guess the D Monster wants to spend the day with me today!